Tuesday, June 16, 2009

meet singing champ daryl orgalino

from my friend tony v here's a story written by david casuco of the california examiner...

It has happened before - talented children of Filipino expats from North America going home to Manila and establishing successful careers in show business. It happened to Ariel Rivera in the 80s and so did to Kris Lawrence recently; It could very well happen again to Daryl Ogalino, who is the current toast of “Tawag Ng Tanghalan-USA,” a prestigious annual singing competion based in Los Angeles that has launched many successful careers of young Fil-Am talents.

Daryl, an 18-year old student of Cal State University-Northridge, is now forging his plans at conquering Manila as well. In a couple of weeks Daryl, who is essentially an R&B singer, will be arriving in Manila to do exploratory talks with people in the music industry. While in the city his parents have arranged several radio and television appearances for the young singer.

Now, the question every singer has to deal with: Does Daryl have what it takes to chart a successful career in an industry where the likes of Arnel Pineda, Martin Nievera, Jed Madela, Charice Pempengco, Lani Misalucha, and Lea Salonga consider as one of the toughest market to penetrate?

Daryl thinks he is up to the challenge.

A level-headed young man who grew up in a family that adheres to Christian values Daryl says, “I want to be a successful music artist someday. If given a chance to be in show business here in the States and abroad, I know that I can succeed because I have the confidence to face any challenges, self discipline, responsibility, and I learned how to work harder in order to succeed.”

Confidence, self-discipline, responsibility, and hard work are key ingredients in the pursuit of any successful career. And Daryl believes that he has them all. Juddging by his resume, it seems that he has the versatility that could help him deal with the ups & downs of life in the entertainment business. “I have many hobbies other than singing. I consider myself very athletic. I enjoy swimming, running, and martial arts. In fact, I am a 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo. I also love to cook. I find cooking fun because I love learning how to make many different types of food for myself and others. On top of that, I am very active in my church by being involved in Evangelistic events and the worship band,” he says.

In an interview with noted broadcast journalist Awee Abayari, Daryl further showed that he has what it takes to be a winner. Here is an excerpt of that interview (used with permission):

Awee Abayari: Who was Daryl before he became a champion of Tawag ng Tanghalan-USA?
Daryl Ogalino: I was just an ordinary teenager who never expected to win a talent competition like Tawag ng Tanghalan-USA. Aside from prestige, winning the competition was one of the high points of my life because people see me as a good role model.

AA: Tell us about your family and who encouraged you to pursue music and to join Tawag ng Tanghalan-USA?
DO: I come from family that loves music, and I owe my talent to them.They were very supportive because they know music is my passion. It motivates me to pursue my dreams to become successful one day.

AA: How did you prepare for the Tawag Ng Tanghalan Grand Finals?
DO: I prepared mentally, physically, and spiritually for the Grand Finals. I vocally rehearsed extensively each and everyday. Winning this competition was my primary focus throughout the past months. As I sought the Lord for guidance, I believed that winning this competition was possible. Nothing was going to stop me.

AA: What are your present and future plans?
DO: My present plans are to develop my singing abilities through hard work and practice, hoping to join American Idol in the future.

AA: Who are your favorite singers?
DO: My favorite singers in the Philippines and United States are Martin Nievera, Erik Santos, Ogie Alcasid, Luther Vandross, James Ingram, and Andrea Bocelli because their voices and musicality inspire me most.

AA: What makes you proud be a Filipino-American?
DO: There’s just so much to be proud about being Filipino-American. I’m proud to be Filipino-American, because no matter how bad things get they always seem to find someth ing positive or something to smile about to keep themselves going. Filipinos are also peace loving and very talented.

No comments:

TMZ.com

philstar.com - entertainment

CNN.com

EW.com